Best Dental TMJ Service | Joplin MO
The temporomandibular joints, called TMJ, are the joints and jaw muscles that make it possible to open and close your mouth. Both of your TMJ joints are located on each side of the head. They work together when you chew, speak or swallow and include muscles and ligaments as well as the jaw bone. They also control the lower jaw (mandible) as it moves forward, backward and from side to side.
Each TMJ has a disc between the ball and socket. The disc cushions the joint while enabling the jaw to open widely and rotate or glide. Any problem that prevents the muscles, ligaments, discs and bones from working properly may result in a painful TMJ disorder.
Causes of TMJ Disorder:
- Dislocation of the disc in the joint
- Deformities of the jaw
- Inflammation, infection, arthritis of the jaw area
- Injury to the jaws
- Muscle strain from chewing or teeth clenching and grinding
Symptoms of TMJ Disorder:
- Popping or grating sound when you open or close your mouth
- Headache or pain in your jaw, ear, neck or face
- Pain or swelling of the jaw muscles
- Trouble opening or closing your mouth
- Locking of the jaw (open or closed)
Dr. Fitterling has had extensive training in treating TMJ Disorder. We will diagnose and make recommendations to alleviate your pain. Many of our patients have been given a new lease on life through TMJ treatment.
If you would like more information about this service, or have questions please fill out the form on this page and someone from our staff will be in touch with you right away. Thank you!